A Sunny Day in Liverpool

I hope you are all having a lovely day today? Somehow when the sun shines everything feels a little bit better. The warmth of the sun isn't the hot, burning heat of June or July. I swear I can feel a breath of Autumn coming on, even though today is supposed to be the hottest day this week.
At the very least, I got my copy of September's Country Homes and Interiors last week and I've been luxuriating in the colours and patterns of the season. I'm looking forward to apple pies, a proper stew when the weather grows colder and the smell of decaying leaves when they start to fall.


Last year at around this time I was busy making my Autumn Ripple blanket, as you can read if you click on its name. I still love all the colours I used, and how they worked together. It sits with my pile of blankets in the corner at home and when the nip in the air moves in and before we turn on the heating it will be my knee warmer of choice.

And I made a cushion to match as I told you in this Wednesday Wind Up (must start posting those again) although I notice I have been very remiss in not posting a picture either of the cushion as a WIP or a completed article.

I've been on a bit of a making drought since I went to the workshop in April; I was busy with school, getting the office ready and just all those lifey things that stop you from doing stuff. I have a list of things I want to do, which I'll share with you one day, and a list of wool that I have to use up before Peter realises that the large plastic box at the bottom of the bed is actually full of wool and not, as I have persuaded him, sheets. I still had bits of wool left over from my autumn blanket and the rain last week made me feel drizzly so I started a round cushion especially to decorate it with leaves and have my own autumn cushion wreath to use in the house.

I'm using Attic 24's Flat Circle pattern in treble stitch, because it grows quickly. I have peculiarly done the backing first and I'm doing the front side now. The back is a stripey pattern of Stylecraft Special DK Sage and Spice, both very beautiful autumnal shades. The front is a centre of denim, with a border of sage and both sides are bordered with a couple of rows of teal. I'm in the office now, but tonight I'll take a couple of shots and upload to this post just to explain.  The front is deliberately plain so that I can applique some crocheted leaves on in a wreath pattern. I've used a variety of patterns to make beech leaves, sycamore leaves and oak leaves in a mix of gold, saffron, claret and pomegranate. I've enjoyed making the bits, and hopefully tonight (when Mr Mr is out) I can finish the front and start the sewing on. I will post the finished article, I promise!



Comments

  1. Noooo, don't wish autumn on us, we haven't had any summer yet, or very little anyway. My crochet has been put to one side over the last few months, I'm knitting and cross stitching at the moment, but I'm sure it will make an appearance again before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I read about your cross stitch a little part of me wants to do it... but I haven't enough time even for my crochet projects, so it'll have to wait!

      Delete
  2. the weather has been rather lovely the past couple of days, but like you to me it feels like autumn is on its way. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I write my reply on what's supposed to be the hottest day this week..... We could get a glorious Indian Summer. That would be grand. As long as the nights draw in after October and we get a good, strong, cold winter. Not a wishy washy wet out!

      Delete
  3. No to Autumn!!! Bad girl!!!!
    Ha, I had to laugh at your husband's delusion that the box is full of sheets- mwa ha !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very good about not looking as well. I suspect he really knows, and either doesn't mind or knows his opinion is worthless to me where wool is concerned because... well, he doesn't get it like I do.

      Delete
  4. I cant wait for autumn to arrive. Snuggly blankets and warm hats! Saying that I'm thoroughly enjoying this warm weather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Isn't the human temperament a wonderful thing? Loving one thing and anticipating another! I think anticip

      Delete
    2. pation is one of the nicest feelings I know. Who said it was better to travel hopefully than to arrive? Or that the night before Christmas is always better than the day?!? I'm with them!

      Delete
  5. We've been abroad for the last 2 weeks and the nights here seem to be drawing in since we returned. I love all your autumn planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you call it planning. More like a small-expression-of-thinking-about-but-I'm-not-sure-I'll-ever-get-it-done than planning. I find it hard to remember that in a bare 4 weeks it will be the equinox and after that.... well, the nights are getting shorter and Winter is Coming.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to seeing the bits!
    There is definitely an autumn sniff in the air, just now and then it hits. I love autumn so much.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up

A Heads Up for next Thursday....