Cherry Choc Chip cookies


No, I don't usually do recipes, but these proved such a hit with the children, as well as being so virtuously Domestic Goddess/Artist/Competent to serve with cold milk after a day at home that I had to share it with you.


My trio of hungry mouths love cookies and one of their favourite weekend breakfasts (the time of the week when healthy eating means they haven't got a cold, rather than a meal that would fit onto any food triangle I've ever seen) is a cookie. Tesco and Sainsbury's cookies are well over £1.00 for a bag of 5.... these were pennies, literally (less if you leave out the cherries, but life is too short)


You will need;

100g butter or margarine, room temperature

175g caster sugar

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

1 egg

1 1/2 tablespoons of golden syrup

250g plain flour

1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda

A pinch of salt

50 to 75 g glace cherries

55g chocolate chips, or smarties, M&M's or other small sweets. I understand Milky Way Stars are lovely, but I have to try them yet.


Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 or the equivalent.

Cream the butter and sugar together (by hand if you need the exercise, by hand held electric whisk if, like me, time and patience are unknown gifts) until they are pale and fluffy.

Add the egg, the vanilla and the syrup and beat until well mixed.

Sift the flour, bicarb and salt into the bowl and fold in gently.

Add whatever extras take your fancy (obviously not anchovies, but they could be interesting!) and stir.

Take little balls of the mixture about the size of a walnut and place on a well oiled baking sheet. they do spread out a tremendous amount, so leave plenty of space. You should get between 15 and 24 balls, it rather depends on the size of your walnuts.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the top is golden. Don't test by squishing as they will be incredibly soft as long as they are hot. Leave on the sheet to cool for a while before removing to a rack, or a plate on the table. Hide any you want in a sealed biscuit tin. They will last for 4 days, but only if you have more will power or less children than I.

I haven't tried to freeze the dough, but I do know you can (if necessary) freeze the biscuits for up to a month.

Put the kettle on, make a decent cup of French Vanilla coffee, and read the November edition of your favourite magazine.


What's your best cookie recipe? With the imminent holiday season, I always like to have a few select offerings to make and give, and I'd love to know yours! E-mail or leave a comment to let me know what you do for a little sugar burst! Happy Baking!


BTW, I think I should adopt the Label 'Domestic Competent'. After the success of Nigella with 'Goddess' and Yarnstorm with 'Artist', I might even get a book deal ;o)

Comments

  1. Domestic Competent - I love it. And the cookies sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milky Way stars cookies?! Oh my goodness, that's so mean when I've just started the pre Christmas Weight watchers ... how many points in a milky way star?

    Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee - love the 'Domestic Competent' title - that is something I could realistically aspire to!
    I've got a rather nice peanut butter cookie recipe round here somewhere - very sweet but obviously depends on your relationship with nuts - as it were :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! These look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum -- these look delicious. I have lots of cookie recipes that I like, but none of them use golden syrup as that's a new ingredient for us here in the states. I've tried it with flapjacks though -- and loved them, so maybe I'll just have to try these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our favourite cookie recipe is a peanut butter cookie recipe that came from a dorling kindersly first cookery book, so it's nice and easy. Let me know if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! I'm so excited! My two favorite things in the world are chocolate chip cookies AND cherries. Having them combined might be the most fabulous thing since sliced bread! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up

A Heads Up for next Thursday....