You really want to know?



I should have known that you were as nosey as I was and would want to know the six Persephone books on their way (slowly) to me. Here they are.

1. The Making of a Marchioness I got this book last Thursday at a time when my nose had entered terminal dripness and I needed something good to read. I loved it, a real big girls fairy story. Cinderella with big feet. I particularly love the way no one would dream of saying they were pregnant out right, but beat about the bush. (No, not a good metaphor, I know. Slide over the issue? Avoid the elephant? use metaphorical language in such a way that you are twisted trying to figure out what they mean when all they mean is she's having a baby!?)

2. The New House The story of one family's move to a new house. It gets described as Brookneresque and since I like most things 'esque' (statuesque and burlesque mostly) it got on my list.

3. The Shuttle by F Hodgeson Burnett. One of my favourite writers if only for the description of the very Last Doll in A Little Princess so I had to go for this one as well. The story of how we imported good (new blooded) wives from America. It sounded interesting.

4. Housebound Set during the war and dealing with a Lady's attempts at house work sans aide, I really fancied this one for the domestic and historical details involved as well as the fact it was described as being set in Edinburgh. Having been there twice in a year, I like reading about places I may know.

5. Saplings A cheerful read (not). This one appealed to me because it deals with times my Grandmother had told me so much about. I wanted to read the fiction of the day to give me an idea of what was the issues in peoples' minds. Like reading Pride and Prejudice to find out about the Napoleonic wars. Also, it's by Noel Streatfeild, and I like a lot of her books. I have also in the same spirit ordered Mrs Miniver and The Real Mrs Miniver. When I get an idea I run with it.

6. The Fortnight In September By the time I get this book in July I will have forgotten I ordered it and why. The story sounded good and I wanted a holiday book to read on holiday that would be different. Set in the twenties, it isn't about anything much and it revels in its ordinariness (if you read the Persephone website) so hey, ho, it's mine.

So, there you are. Six books of fun, not gift wrapped (shame) but heading my way. I can add them to my other Persephone books and figure out how to persuade DH that I need to decorate the bedroom around them, since they live on my bedside table. (My other books? The Children Who lived in a Barn, The Home-maker, Family Roundabout, How to run your Home without Help and Kitchen Essays) Good value every one of them, although I must admit to really enjoying Family Roundabout, coming from a strong Matriarchal tradition.

Comments

  1. oooh lovely. I think the idea of decorating the bedroom around them is a fabulous ones.
    I love F Hodgeson Burnett, I think 'A little princess' was one of my most read books when I was a child. Not only for the description of the Very last doll but also when the attic is transformed!(In fact I was trying to encourage my daughter to read it yesterday, she has seen the film and has not shown an interest in the book. The book is far more magical.
    I am so jealous you are getting six of those Persephone beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading David Copperfield very slowly as I don't want to get to the end !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that a bedroom decorated around Persophie books would be a wonderful relaxing place to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

How did you start writing your blog?

A Heads Up for next Thursday....