It is Tuesday, isn't it? No? No, it's not really Wednesday? What? Already?

This holiday is too short. Really, 5 and a half weeks is not long enough for everything I have planned. Like long lie ins (I haven't had one yet; DH has a thing about leaving me in bed so I keep getting up for a cup of tea with him and staring blankly into space for an hour after he leaves wondering why.), catching up on the washing, reading a book a week and sitting in the sun sipping cider. My pleasures are sweet and easy to fulfil. Well, except the one about the washing. That's a big job.
And days out; I have a few of those planned as well. Liverpool is a lovely place to find unexpected treasures. We have parks, coasts, wildernesses and all sorts within a short drive. Yesterday I took my three to a hidden treasure.

Hale Village has parts that date back to 1081 (St Mary's Church was formed then, although the present building is a little younger, like mid 14th century) and loads of thatched cottages and bigger that, were the village in the Cotswolds would have people swooning over the cuteness and quaintness. As it is, Hale sits next to Speke and under the flight path for the airport, so people tend not to flock and definitely not to swoon. I like it, planes and all, and my children had never seen it.

The most famous old resident was the Childe of Hale, a giant of a man at a reputed 9 foot 3 inches. He was presented to James I, beat the King's Champion at wrestling and won £20, which was stolen off him on the way home. He's a local legend, with the inevitable pub named after him and a portrait in Brasenose College, as well as in local Speke Hall. The carved tree trunk which used to stand outside the church was removed and now a rather tall 3m brass statue stands there. For my eldest son, the tallest by far in his class, it was interesting to meet a person from history that he had to look up to!


And the potato fields around Hale were smothered in butterflies. The Princess had to stand and watch as they performed Swan Lake, darting and swooping around her. No pictures, my point and press was too slow, but a lovely memory anyway.


 The building behind the statue caught me eye, too. Look at the balustrade and the details, a fancy home in miniature, and all for show, as the side and back appear to be plain brick built!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

How did you start writing your blog?

A Heads Up for next Thursday....