Spring into summer; my granny square blanket.

I love crocheting blankets. Hey, I've made two in the last six months alone! (well, 9 months actually) with my granny stripe and my ripple blanket and I still want to do more. I have a plan to make a set of 4 seasonal blankets, with the colours reflecting the seasons and the styles chosen to suit the time of year. I did want to do a summer ripple blanket full of seascape blues and sand dune yellows. with zinging seaweed shades of green.... but Attic 24 got there first, and to start with my seaside blanket would look like copycatism, which it so should not because I really did have my plan before she posted hers. And I know it shouldn't matter, that mine will be mine and I should just go ahead but... still. I think sometimes we like to be ourselves. So my seaside ripple will wait. A little longer. Perhaps after Christmas next year, when I have made my Noel candy stripe blanket with popcorn stitch and poinsettia red edging and my Autumn leaves granny stripe blanket made from palest sky blue and every shade of gold, red, yellow and brown I can find. There. Now my plans are laid if anyone comes up with the time to start them first I won't feel too bad about pressing ahead.
But back to now; because my summer blanket is on hold, I have decided to start my spring project. The weather this year is going to be absolutely fabulous (I say confidently as I look out at the rain. The green grass does look lovely in the rain.) so a big, all in one blanket is not the one I need to do first. Enter the granny squares.

They are made with Stylecraft special DK, a whole load of colours, with the first three rows being a random selection of bright and pastel colours. It's a cracking way to use up all the left over bits from my other projects so it's even economical. The last two rows are cream, with a final single crochet border of meadow green. I haven't decided what border yet, but I really like pomegranate and meadow green so it may be I use them.

I love the order that these squares have introduced to my life. I pick 5 colours and work the inner three rows in a sort of assembly line loop, before mass-hooking the outer two rows, tidying up all the loose ends and adding the green edging.

I'm keeping them in a plain basket in the corner of my living room. Somehow the cream edges have a beautiful illuminating effect, so even though the weather outside is somewhat lacking in spring zing, my living room is lovely and spirit-lifting. Time to hook some more!

Comments

  1. Your squares look lovely. I'm currently working on a flowers-in-the-snow blanket and I can't wait to add the white rounds. I love the way that looks. I think many of us have "copied" Lucy at some point, but I doubt she minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny when the same idea appears at the same time, that's all. And I suppose if it had been a less... popular blog, or one with less of a public profile I would just shrug and go ahead. To do my planned blanket now would feel like calling a daughter Harper, for instance and claiming that I named it after my Harper cousin or Anne McCaffrey book character; it would be true but others would always say Oh yeah?

      Delete
  2. Looking good so far! I hear you on the copying thing. All I can say is that at times it is bound to happen. I think as a "community" it follows we all have similar tastes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when we all use the same yarn with the same colour chart (and Stylecraft works so well) then there will be a similarity of look. I'll just pause on this project and do my granny squares for now. They are very pretty to make.

      Delete
  3. They look fabulous, I love the green edging, it gives the squares a totally different look to those without it. I can't wait to see it finished now, and knowing your crocheting speed, I bet it won't be too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My crochet speed really does depend on doing very little else, and I have so much that I want to do!! I'm giving myself 3 months to make a big difference with the blanket, even if it sits for a couple of months after that before I finish and edge it! But thanks for the compliment about my speed!

      Delete
  4. Your blanket is really looking great. I love the green edging on those squares. Stylecraft Special DK is such a great yarn for blankets isn't it?
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to work with and economical; what's not to like? I've sewn a couple of squares together and they really do look good; can't wait to finish them (but obviously have to)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

A Heads Up for next Thursday....

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up