The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins



A book club favourite this year;


The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins was our Bookclub read for April, but I'm only just catching up with reviews and things like that now.

It's a thriller that starts with Rachel who travels by train every day past the row of houses where she used to live with her ex-husband Tom. She is solitary and sad and makes up a story about a young Golden Couple who live near to her old house. She wants what they have, but like so many people looking in to a relationship from outside she doesn't see the reality behind the smile.  When her fantasy wife disappears and then is found dead, believed murdered, she gets involved, desperate to work out what happened. It's like she stalks the dead woman's life, visiting her therapist, her family and even the husband. Rachel has nothing else to do; she's an alcoholic and needs a purpose, because her job, that she travelled to by train every day, has gone and she is so lacking in self confidence.
As the plot develops the characters lives wind together in sometimes unexpected ways.
The book is told first person by Rachel in the present day and Megan who we hear from the past as well as Anna, the woman who has replaced Rachel in her house. Their viewpoints colour our perceptions and give us enough to make decisions about what is happening without letting the cats out of the bag.

It's a book that, like Gone Girl, relies on plot rather than empathy. The characters aren't pretty, not likeable, but the book works in getting you hooked so you have to read on to the end just to see what happens to them all. I can't say much more without letting secrets slip, so I will just have to say that the bookclub readers all (bar one) really enjoyed it and found themselves reading late into the night to find out what happened. Is it realistic? Perhaps not, but it's engrossing. And sometimes an engrossing book is better than a realistic one when it's a cold, dark night and you need to be engrossed.

Comments

  1. I've been eyeing up this one, and still unsure. I wasn't a big fan of Gone Girl - I wanted her to be found dead as then the horror would be over :-) Maybe I'll pick it up in a charity shop somewhere and then I won't mind so much if I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So love the idea of 'wanted her to be found dead'!! I know what you mean! This one is better, in that the characters are not as horrible as Gone Girl.

      Delete
  2. This is a popular book at the moment, I think there's three posts about it in my blogroll right now and I've got it on my Kindle waiting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished it yesterday. I thought is was very good. I didn't expect it to end the way it did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the ending; a good plot twist is better than an 'I saw that coming' one.

      Delete
  4. It sounds as though it is a very engaging read! Glad that you enjoyed it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Engrossing is good, who cares if it's realistic?! You've made me want to read it anyway! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Engrossing is fine - doesn't have to be realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have just finished reading this book for our book club and I wasn't a big fan, I couldn't really get attached to the characters, so much so that I had to make notes about them to keep them in my mind! Maybe I was just reading it at the wrong time. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - this is another on my lengthening list of books I want to read - I know several people who have enjoyed it, good to hear it was popular with your book club.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up

A Heads Up for next Thursday....